Full Name: Curtis "Curt" Minard
Hometown: Weyburn, SK
Residence: Vernon, BC
Stance on board: Goofy
Curt Minard burst on to the Para snowboard scene in Febuary 2016, taking home the gold medal in his first ever snowboardcross and banked slalom races, in a pair of NorAMs at Big White Ski Resort, BC. From there, Minard went on to win the Canadian National Championship in 2016, doing so with a broken shoulder to boot. A year later, he defended his national title as a member of the Para NextGen program.
Minard lost a portion of his left hand and wrist in an electrical contact accident in 2008. He was electrocuted with over 14400 volts of electricity with approximately 5 Amps of current, which is about 500% more than most humans can withstand before their bodies shut down. He also had many complications in the hospital, including a bursting artery in his left arm and a pulmonary embolism, both of which almost took his life.
In his first full season, 2016-17, Minard finished sixth overall on the World Cup circuit. He competes in the Upper Limb (UL) category.
Minard served noticed he can contend for a medal at the 2018 Paralympic Winter Games when he won the bronze medal in the Snowboardcross on the PyeongChang course at the World Cup final in March 2017, to conclude the 2016-17 season. Minard also posted two top-eight finishes in January 2017 at the Big White 2017 World Para Snowboard Championships.
- 6th Paralympic Games PyeongChang SBX 2018
- 8th Paralympic Games Pyeongchang Banked Slalom 2018
- 1st Para Sports Experts Speed Nation Nationals Mont Tremblant SBX 16/17
- 3rd World Cup PyeongChang SBX 16/17
- 7th World Para Snowboard Championships Big White, BC SBX 2017
- 8th World Para Snowboard Championships Big White, BC Banked Slalom 2017
- 1st Sports Experts Speed Nation Nationals Chantecler SBX 15/16